Identifying the Specifics of Your Immigrant Visa Application or Adjustment of Status


Part 3, Question 1 of Form I-90, a crucial document in the process of replacing your Permanent Resident Card, seeks specific details about the origins of your immigrant visa application or adjustment of status. Essentially, this segment requests clarity on where your initial green card application process took place.

To respond accurately, you'll need to trace back to the method you utilized to secure your green card: was it through consular processing or by adjusting your status while within the U.S.?

Navigating Through the Adjustment of Status

Suppose your green card was obtained while you were on U.S. soil, facilitated by submitting the 'Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status' (known as Form I-485). In that case, you need to specify the city and state of the USCIS office that accepted your application. This is typically the service center that oversaw the intricate procedures of your I-485 application.

Additionally, the exact USCIS office that greenlit your I-485 can be discerned from the information imprinted on your green card.

Understanding the Consular Processing Route

For those who trod the path of consular processing, applying for an immigrant visa outside the confines of the U.S., the required information veers slightly. Here, you should denote the city and country hosting the U.S. embassy or consulate that processed your initial visa application.

Should your entry into the U.S. be under the auspices of an immigrant visa obtained through consular processing, it's imperative to accurately fill out questions 3.a. and 3.a1. Question 3.a. inquires about your first point of settlement within the U.S. — not necessarily your point of entry but rather where you intended to establish your residence. For instance, even if your entry point was Nogales, Arizona, but your ultimate destination was reuniting with relatives in Denver, Colorado, you should list "Denver, Colorado."

For those seeking a more guided experience in filling out these sections of Form I-90, resources like CitizenPath's online I-90 preparation service are invaluable. This service provides detailed, stepwise assistance, ensuring that each response aligns perfectly with your personal immigration narrative.

Last Updated 11/23/23 08:17:12AM

Was this page helpful?

Thank you for your feedback!

Answer a random question about the US What is one responsibility that is only for United States citizens? (question 49 of 100)

Rate this post



It so happened that I had to apply for political asylum in the United States. I understood in advance that it would not be easy to leave for America, but I didn't think that I would have to draw up so many documents and answer many tricky questions. With the help of, which I accidentally found on the Internet, I managed to overcome all the difficulties associated with paperwork quite easily. The site has a lot of useful and necessary information, with the help of which it is easy to collect and fill in all the necessary documents.


I married an American and had to get a green card to move to the USA. I found the website on the Internet, went to it and immediately realized that here I would find all the necessary information. On the site, I really found everything I needed. Thanks to the developers for coming up with such a useful site.


I needed to issue Form I-130 “Petition for a Foreigner Relative” in order to take my wife and child with me. I myself went to America on a green card and received permanent resident status. On the website, I found not only a form, but also instructions for filling it out. In addition, here I found other useful information, such as how much you need to pay for submitting the form and how you can pay. It also tells you where to submit your completed form. All this information is very useful for people who have never dealt with the execution of such documents.


My husband and I left for the United States on a green card, but it's time to update it. To do this, you need to collect documents again. We decided not to seek help from lawyers, but to do everything ourselves. I heard from a friend that there is a website, where you can get not only the information you need, but also find and download all the forms you need to fill out. The site really turned out to be very useful, we were able to quickly fill out the necessary forms and send them for processing.


The impressions of using the website are positive. Prepared documents for leaving for permanent residence in the United States. Like any person who faced this task for the first time, she did not know where to start and where to run. A friend helped. I don't know where she got the address of this site, but the information on it is really very useful and necessary. With the help of, I not only found out what documents I need to collect, but also found instructions on how to fill out the required form. Many thanks to those who came up with this site.

Choose a messenger for communication: