Navigating Green Card Applications Without a Birth Certificate


Submitting proof of birth is a fundamental requirement for the majority of adjustment of status and immigrant visa applications, which are the principal pathways to obtaining a green card. While there are exclusions for individuals like asylees and refugees, the standard protocol for most applicants entails providing a foreign birth certificate alongside Form I-485, the Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, or within the DS-260. However, certain circumstances, such as the absence of standardized birth certificate issuance in some countries, necessitate alternative means of verifying one's birth. This guide outlines the steps for those instances.

Understanding Birth Certificate Mandates

Both the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and the Department of State uphold stringent criteria regarding birth certificates' format and comprehensive content. Those who fall short of these stipulations are unlikely to fulfill the proof of birth prerequisites. Typically, an eligible birth certificate is one that the official local government or civil authority issues. It must be an unabridged version, not a summary or an abridged iteration, encapsulating extensive details about the applicant and their parents:

  • The complete name as recorded at birth
  • The precise date of birth
  • The location of birth
  • The full names of both parents
  • The official designation of the issuing authority
  • The date of official issuance
  • An official seal or alternative form of authentication

Should your birth certificate be inconsistent with these guidelines, supplemental proof of your birth may be necessary, potentially through a birth affidavit.

In Form I-485, applicants can initially submit a reproduction of their original or officially certified birth certificate. Nonetheless, it is advisable to also bring an original or certified version to the adjustment of the status interview, as immigration officers might require it for verification purposes.

In the Absence of a Birth Certificate

Should your birth certificate be inaccessible, non-existent, or unofficial, the procedure demands not only an assertion of such circumstances but also the submission of suitable alternative birth evidence.

Step 1: Verifying the Status of Birth Certificates

Commence by consulting with the Department of State regarding the standard availability of birth certificates in your native country. Utilize the provided search functionality for this purpose. Suppose the subsequent information confirms the general unavailability or absence of birth certificates from your birthplace. In that case, you can forgo any additional steps to demonstrate the unavailability of your personal document and proceed directly to Step 3.

Step 2: Securing a Certificate of Non-Availability

If, however, the State Department’s resources do not confirm a general lack of birth certificates in your country, you must acquire a non-availability certificate. This document must be:

  • An original statement from a governmental civil authority, presented on official letterhead
  • A declaration of the document’s nonexistence or inaccessibility
  • Specific about why the record is absent
  • Clarifying about the availability of similar records for the same period or location

This primary document must accompany your alternative evidence of birth. Advance to Step 3.

Step 3: Submitting Substitute Evidence of Birth

In situations where a standard birth certificate is unobtainable or non-existent, you're required to present different credible documents that attest to the circumstances of your birth. These can range from religious or educational records to medical documentation, birth affidavits, or equivalent documents. Possible documents might encompass baptismal certificates, school enrollment records indicating the date of birth, or census documentation. (Refer to the State Department's resources for further guidance on acceptable substitute documents commonly available in your country.) If you rely exclusively on birth affidavits, ensure to enclose no fewer than two distinct affidavits along with Form I-485.

Last Updated 11/22/23 08:45:48AM

Was this page helpful?

Thank you for your feedback!

Answer a random question about the US The House of Representatives has how many voting members? (question 21 of 100)

Rate this post



It so happened that I had to apply for political asylum in the United States. I understood in advance that it would not be easy to leave for America, but I didn't think that I would have to draw up so many documents and answer many tricky questions. With the help of, which I accidentally found on the Internet, I managed to overcome all the difficulties associated with paperwork quite easily. The site has a lot of useful and necessary information, with the help of which it is easy to collect and fill in all the necessary documents.


I married an American and had to get a green card to move to the USA. I found the website on the Internet, went to it and immediately realized that here I would find all the necessary information. On the site, I really found everything I needed. Thanks to the developers for coming up with such a useful site.


I needed to issue Form I-130 “Petition for a Foreigner Relative” in order to take my wife and child with me. I myself went to America on a green card and received permanent resident status. On the website, I found not only a form, but also instructions for filling it out. In addition, here I found other useful information, such as how much you need to pay for submitting the form and how you can pay. It also tells you where to submit your completed form. All this information is very useful for people who have never dealt with the execution of such documents.


My husband and I left for the United States on a green card, but it's time to update it. To do this, you need to collect documents again. We decided not to seek help from lawyers, but to do everything ourselves. I heard from a friend that there is a website, where you can get not only the information you need, but also find and download all the forms you need to fill out. The site really turned out to be very useful, we were able to quickly fill out the necessary forms and send them for processing.


The impressions of using the website are positive. Prepared documents for leaving for permanent residence in the United States. Like any person who faced this task for the first time, she did not know where to start and where to run. A friend helped. I don't know where she got the address of this site, but the information on it is really very useful and necessary. With the help of, I not only found out what documents I need to collect, but also found instructions on how to fill out the required form. Many thanks to those who came up with this site.

Choose a messenger for communication: