U.S. Passport Holders and the New European Visa Requirement in 2025


EU Postpones New Travel Authorization Requirement for U.S. Passport Holders to 2025

Starting in 2025, U.S. passport holders planning to travel to Europe will need to navigate a new travel authorization requirement through the European Travel Information and Authorization System (ETIAS). This system, similar to the U.S. ESTA, is designed to enhance border security and streamline the entry process into the Schengen Area. Here's what U.S. citizens need to know about the upcoming changes:

  1. ETIAS Authorization: Before traveling to Europe, Americans will need to apply for and obtain ETIAS authorization. This is mandatory for short-term visits of up to 90 days within any 180-day period to countries in the Schengen Zone.
  2. Application Process: The ETIAS application will be available online, possibly through an official website or a mobile app. Applicants will be required to fill out a form with personal, passport, and travel details, and answer security questions.
  3. Application Fee: There is a nominal application fee of approximately $7.79. However, certain groups of travelers might be exempt from this fee. The exact details of fee exemptions are yet to be fully disclosed.
  4. Validity and Use: Once approved, an ETIAS authorization is valid for three years or until the passport expires, whichever comes first. It allows for multiple entries into Schengen countries, respecting the 90/180-day rule.
  5. Entry Conditions: While ETIAS provides pre-travel authorization, it does not guarantee entry. Upon arrival, border officials will conduct a final check to ensure travelers meet the entry conditions.
  6. Implementation Delay: Initially slated for 2024, the rollout of ETIAS has been postponed to 2025. This gives travelers additional time to prepare for the new requirements.

In anticipation of the 2025 ETIAS requirement for U.S. travelers to Europe, it's crucial to understand the evolution of travel regulations. Previously, U.S. passport holders enjoyed the privilege of visa-free entry into most European countries, a policy that offered ease and spontaneity in travel planning. The upcoming changes underscore a global trend towards increased security and pre-travel verification. To adapt, travelers should familiarize themselves with these new procedures well in advance, stay informed about the specific entry requirements of their destination countries, and consider the impact of these changes on their travel plans! 

Last Updated 06/03/24 01:57:53AM

Was this page helpful?

Thank you for your feedback!

Answer a random question about the US What did Susan B. Anthony do?(question 77 of 100)

Rate this post



It so happened that I had to apply for political asylum in the United States. I understood in advance that it would not be easy to leave for America, but I didn't think that I would have to draw up so many documents and answer many tricky questions. With the help of Usa-immigrations.com, which I accidentally found on the Internet, I managed to overcome all the difficulties associated with paperwork quite easily. The site has a lot of useful and necessary information, with the help of which it is easy to collect and fill in all the necessary documents.


I married an American and had to get a green card to move to the USA. I found the website Usa-immigrations.com on the Internet, went to it and immediately realized that here I would find all the necessary information. On the site, I really found everything I needed. Thanks to the developers for coming up with such a useful site.


I needed to issue Form I-130 “Petition for a Foreigner Relative” in order to take my wife and child with me. I myself went to America on a green card and received permanent resident status. On the website Usa-immigrations.com, I found not only a form, but also instructions for filling it out. In addition, here I found other useful information, such as how much you need to pay for submitting the form and how you can pay. It also tells you where to submit your completed form. All this information is very useful for people who have never dealt with the execution of such documents.


My husband and I left for the United States on a green card, but it's time to update it. To do this, you need to collect documents again. We decided not to seek help from lawyers, but to do everything ourselves. I heard from a friend that there is a website Usa-immigrations.com, where you can get not only the information you need, but also find and download all the forms you need to fill out. The site really turned out to be very useful, we were able to quickly fill out the necessary forms and send them for processing.


The impressions of using the website Usa-immigrations.com are positive. Prepared documents for leaving for permanent residence in the United States. Like any person who faced this task for the first time, she did not know where to start and where to run. A friend helped. I don't know where she got the address of this site, but the information on it is really very useful and necessary. With the help of Usa-immigrations.com, I not only found out what documents I need to collect, but also found instructions on how to fill out the required form. Many thanks to those who came up with this site.

Choose a messenger for communication: