How do I fill out Form I-131A for carrier documentation?

Check your eligibility first:

  • If your green card or re-entry permit was stolen, lost, mutilated or destroyed during travelling outside the USA, you’ll most probably need to file Form I-131A.
  • If you are travelling abroad and your green card has expired, you probably don’t have to fill out Form I-131A. If you possess an expired green card, many transportation carriers will let you board, so it is better to contact a carrier first.
  • If you are a permanent resident who was not present in the USA for one year or more, Form I-131A will not be helpful anyway. If it seems like your green card was abandoned, it is better to search for help from an immigration attorney.
  • If your green card or re-entry permit was stolen, lost, mutilated or destroyed inside the USA, you have to file Form I-90 (Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card), as Form I-131A can be applied only by permanent residents outside the USA.

There is a voluminous set of instructions for filling out Form I-131A available on U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services official website. You can download and follow them, keeping in mind that any mistakes and omissions may cause a delay or even rejection of your admission. Another way is to charge someone experienced and trustworthy with this task. Step-by-step guidance will save your time, guarantee accuracy and acceptance of your application at the first try. After completing Application for Travel Document (Carrier Documentation), you should pay the USCIS filing fee and then submit it to the closest U.S. Consulate or Embassy.

February 9, 2019

Rate this post
Sign up for complimentary immigration tips