What is Form I-131, Application for Travel Document?

Application for Travel Document (Form I-131) can be used to apply for a re-entry permit, refugee travel document or advance parole travel document. Form I-131 should be submitted to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services and approved before overseas trip (including trip to Canada and Mexico). For example, if you need to leave the USA while your adjustment application (Form I-485) is still processing, Form I-131 will help you re-enter the USA.

Functions of Form I-131

  • A re-entry permit allows an admission of a lawful or a conditional permanent resident to the United States without obtaining a returning resident visa after his/her coming back from abroad.
  • A refugee travel document is granted to a person who has valid refugee or asylee status in the USA and wants to travel abroad (this document must be returned to the United States).
  • Advance parole document is issued for some immigrants, such as individuals with temporary protected status, U visas, individuals with a grant of LIFE Act Family Unity Provisions benefits, and adjustment of status applicants (in accordance with Form I-485).

Form I-131 is one of the shortest USCIS forms as it has only 5 pages. This form shouldn’t be confused with Form I-131A, Application for Travel Document (Carrier Documentation). The latter is used by lawful permanent residents to apply for a travel document if something happened to their green card or re-entry permit (it was stolen, lost or damaged) upon their coming back from temporary travelling abroad.

If you would like to get an e-notification upon your Form I-131 acceptance, Form G-1145 (E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance) should be completed and clipped to the front of the application.

February 14, 2019

Rate this post


Sign up for complimentary immigration tips