Application for Employment Authorization (Form I-765) is aimed to request an Employment Authorization Document (EAD), i.e. a work permit for certain categories of foreigners. EAD proves the right for legal work in the USA and serves as a government-issued photo ID. Form I-765 can be used not only to request EAD, but also to replace or renew it.
Aliens who are temporarily living in the USA and eligible to work there include:
- employment-based non-immigrants;
- family-based non-immigrants;
- foreign students;
- asylees/refugees, their spouses and kids;
- adjustment-of-status categories;
- nationality categories;
- eligible dependents of employees of diplomatic missions, international organizations, or NATO.
Who does not need to file Form I-765?
If you are a lawful permanent resident or a conditional resident, there is no need to file Form I-765 as green card holders can work without any special permission. EAD is issued automatically to principal U non-immigrant petitioners, without submitting Form I-765, after the petition underlying their status is approved.
September 13, 2020