Form I-589 | Application for Asylum and for Withholding of Removal


Purpose of Form

If you are staying in the US but you are not a citizen of this country, you can ask for asylum. There are two main reasons, which you can use to prolong staying. The first one: it’s dangerous to come back to your home because of your race, political views or religious beliefs. The second one: you may be removed from the US but you want to stop this process in some cases.

Special Instructions

In order to apply for asylum in the United States of America, you have to file USCIS form I-589 (Application for Asylum and Withholding of Removal). You need to justify the necessity of staying in the US and getting this status.

Where to File

If you are currently in immigration court: You must file your Form I-589 with the immigration court that has jurisdiction over your case.

 If you live in

 Then file your application with the

  • Alabama
  • Arkansas
  • Colorado
  • District of Columbia
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Louisiana
  • Maryland
  • Mississippi
  • New Mexico
  • North Carolina
  • Oklahoma
  • Puerto Rico
  • South Carolina
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • U.S. Virgin Islands
  • Utah
  • Virginia
  • West Virginia
  • Wyoming
  • Western Pennsylvania counties of Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Bedford, Blair, Bradford, Butler, Cambria, Clarion, Clearfield, Crawford, Elk, Erie, Fayette, Forest, Greene, Indiana, Jefferson, Lawrence, McKean, Mercer, Somerset, Venango, Warren, Washington, and Westmoreland









Texas Service Center
Attn: Asylum P.O. Box 851892
Mesquite, TX 75185-1892


  • Arizona
  • California counties of Imperial, Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, or Ventura
  • Guam
  • Hawaii
  • Nevada counties of Clark, Esmerelda, Nye or Lincoln



California Service Center
P.O. Box 10881
Laguna Niguel, CA 92607-0881


  • Alaska
  • Idaho
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • Missouri
  • Montana
  • Nebraska
  • North Dakota
  • Ohio
  • Oregon
  • South Dakota
  • Washington
  • Wisconsin
  • Any county in California or Nevada that was not listed above




Nebraska Service Center
P.O. Box 87589
Lincoln, NE 68501-7589


  • Connecticut
  • Delaware
  • Maine
  • Massachusetts
  • New Hampshire
  • New Jersey
  • New York
  • Rhode Island
  • Vermont
  • A county in Pennsylvania that was not listed above

Vermont Service Center
Attention: Asylum
75 Lower Welden St.
St. Albans, VT 05479-0589


Don’t forget to sign your form!  We will reject any unsigned form.

Download Form I-589 Download instructions Form I-589 | Application for Asylum and for Withholding of Removal

Last Updated 03/26/23 05:54:48AM

Was this page helpful?

Thank you for your feedback!

Answer a random question about the US Name war fought by the United States in the 1800s. (question 72 of 100)

All pages Form I-589 | Application for Asylum and for Withholding of Removal

2 voices

avatar Max


Do I need to attach an explanation or supporting documents to the form?

Reply Max

avatar usa-immigrations


Reply for Max

Hello, the request without explaining why you submit the form are not accepted.

Rate this post



It so happened that I had to apply for political asylum in the United States. I understood in advance that it would not be easy to leave for America, but I didn't think that I would have to draw up so many documents and answer many tricky questions. With the help of, which I accidentally found on the Internet, I managed to overcome all the difficulties associated with paperwork quite easily. The site has a lot of useful and necessary information, with the help of which it is easy to collect and fill in all the necessary documents.


I married an American and had to get a green card to move to the USA. I found the website on the Internet, went to it and immediately realized that here I would find all the necessary information. On the site, I really found everything I needed. Thanks to the developers for coming up with such a useful site.


I needed to issue Form I-130 “Petition for a Foreigner Relative” in order to take my wife and child with me. I myself went to America on a green card and received permanent resident status. On the website, I found not only a form, but also instructions for filling it out. In addition, here I found other useful information, such as how much you need to pay for submitting the form and how you can pay. It also tells you where to submit your completed form. All this information is very useful for people who have never dealt with the execution of such documents.


My husband and I left for the United States on a green card, but it's time to update it. To do this, you need to collect documents again. We decided not to seek help from lawyers, but to do everything ourselves. I heard from a friend that there is a website, where you can get not only the information you need, but also find and download all the forms you need to fill out. The site really turned out to be very useful, we were able to quickly fill out the necessary forms and send them for processing.


The impressions of using the website are positive. Prepared documents for leaving for permanent residence in the United States. Like any person who faced this task for the first time, she did not know where to start and where to run. A friend helped. I don't know where she got the address of this site, but the information on it is really very useful and necessary. With the help of, I not only found out what documents I need to collect, but also found instructions on how to fill out the required form. Many thanks to those who came up with this site.

Choose a messenger for communication: