Form I-942 | Request for Reduced Fee


Form I-942 is a request for a decreased filing fee for Form N-400, which is the Application for Naturalization. The form is available on the USCIS website and must be submitted with the N-400 form.

The I-942 fee waiver is available for applicants who cannot pay the full fee for naturalization due to financial hardship. To qualify, applicants must demonstrate that they cannot pay the filing fee by providing documentation of their income, assets, and debts.

USCIS will review the information provided on the I-942 form and decide whether the applicant qualifies for a fee waiver. If approved, the applicant will only be required to pay a reduced fee of $320 for the N-400 form.

If you are unable to pay the full fee for naturalization, you may be eligible for a fee waiver by completing and submitting I-942. Be sure to include all required documentation to support your request.

How to Fill Form I-942

How to fill Form I-942, which is used to request a reduced fee for filing Form N-400?

The first step is to gather the required documentation. You will need proof of your current immigration status, proof of your employment, and proof of your income.

Next, you will need to complete Form I-942. The form is available on the USCIS website.

On the form, you will need to provide information about yourself, your employment, household income, and the number of persons in a household. You will also need to explain why you’re requesting a reduced fee. In most cases, USCIS will approve the request if the applicant can demonstrate that they are unable to pay the full fee.

Once complete, you must submit the form along with the required documentation to your local USCIS office. You can find the local office address and contact information on the USCIS website.

Instructions/Checklist Form I-942: General Instructions

Form I-942 is used by particular lawful permanent residents (LPRs) who meet specific income requirements to request a reduced fee for Form N-400. What is the checklist Form I-942 has?

To be eligible for the reduced fee, you must:

Be an LPR with a total household income that is at or below 150% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines (FPG) for your household size;


Be an LPR with financial hardships that make it difficult for you to pay in full.

N-400 application fee

  • You will need to submit the following items with your Form I-942:
  • A completed and signed Form N-400;
  • Your most recent federal tax return;
  • Evidence of your current household income, such as pay stubs, W-2 forms, or other financial documents; and
  • Any other evidence that supports your request for a reduced fee.

You should follow all the instructions Form I-942 has carefully and closely. You can find them on the official USCIS website.

Once you submit your Form I-942, USCIS will review your request and determine. If your request is approved, you will be notified by USCIS and can submit your Form N-400 with the reduced fee.

Fee/Pricing Form I-942

What is the fee Form I-942 requires? There is no pricing Form I-942 would demand. However, if you’re requesting a fee waiver for an application or petition that has a filing fee, you must submit evidence to show that you are unable to pay the fee.

If you’re requesting a fee waiver for an application or petition that requires biometrics (fingerprints and/or photos), you must also submit evidence that you are unable to pay the biometrics fee.

Processing Time Form I-942

The average processing time Form I-942 would consider is short. It can be ready on the same date it is received.

However, some cases may take longer to process. The time it takes to process an application may vary from one office to another and is generally based on the workload of the office.

Mail Address/Where to Send Form I-942

What is the mail address form I-942 has? Many people don’t know where to send Form I-942. If you are mailing your Immigration Form I-942, you will need to send it to the address you can find on the USCIS website. Make sure to check the data on the official site.

Where to Download a PDF Form I-942

The I-942 is the form used to request a reduced fee for filing Form N-400, which is the Application for Naturalization. The pdf Form I-942 is available for download on the USCIS website.

Check also the info about Form I-942P and Form I-941 if you need to reduce application fees or apply as an entrepreneur.

Download form I-942 Download instructions Form I-942 | Request for Reduced Fee

Last Updated 06/20/23 08:41:27AM

Was this page helpful?

Thank you for your feedback!

Answer a random question about the US Where is the Statue of Liberty? (question 95 of 100)

All pages Form I-942 | Request for Reduced Fee

Rate this post



It so happened that I had to apply for political asylum in the United States. I understood in advance that it would not be easy to leave for America, but I didn't think that I would have to draw up so many documents and answer many tricky questions. With the help of, which I accidentally found on the Internet, I managed to overcome all the difficulties associated with paperwork quite easily. The site has a lot of useful and necessary information, with the help of which it is easy to collect and fill in all the necessary documents.


I married an American and had to get a green card to move to the USA. I found the website on the Internet, went to it and immediately realized that here I would find all the necessary information. On the site, I really found everything I needed. Thanks to the developers for coming up with such a useful site.


I needed to issue Form I-130 “Petition for a Foreigner Relative” in order to take my wife and child with me. I myself went to America on a green card and received permanent resident status. On the website, I found not only a form, but also instructions for filling it out. In addition, here I found other useful information, such as how much you need to pay for submitting the form and how you can pay. It also tells you where to submit your completed form. All this information is very useful for people who have never dealt with the execution of such documents.


My husband and I left for the United States on a green card, but it's time to update it. To do this, you need to collect documents again. We decided not to seek help from lawyers, but to do everything ourselves. I heard from a friend that there is a website, where you can get not only the information you need, but also find and download all the forms you need to fill out. The site really turned out to be very useful, we were able to quickly fill out the necessary forms and send them for processing.


The impressions of using the website are positive. Prepared documents for leaving for permanent residence in the United States. Like any person who faced this task for the first time, she did not know where to start and where to run. A friend helped. I don't know where she got the address of this site, but the information on it is really very useful and necessary. With the help of, I not only found out what documents I need to collect, but also found instructions on how to fill out the required form. Many thanks to those who came up with this site.

Choose a messenger for communication: