L Visa is a unique type of visa that was established to make intra-company transfers easier. If you work in a company that has a branch, subsidiary or parent company in the U.S., and have a transfer there, then you can apply for L-Visa. This visa works for intra-company transfers. It allows executives (managers) and specialty occupation pros to work in the affiliated company. There are two types of this visa:

  • For executives & managers;
  • For workers with specialized skills;

L-1 visas are issued for a period of 1 to 3 years. Its extension is available in 3-year increments. But the total period of employment in the affiliated company should not exceed 7 years. The family members can stay in the U.S. with the visa holder during the whole transfer period. The wife (husband) can apply for the work permit. Under certain circumstances, L-1 Visa allows getting a permanent residence status.

Applicants must meet the following requirements:

  • Legal employment in a foreign entity, not less than one year over the past three years;
  • The current company must have the affiliated, subsidiary or parent firm in the U.S.;
  • The specialist must hold a management position in the current company, possess specialized knowledge or skills;
  • The specialist must be employed in a management position in the affiliated, subsidiary or parent company in the U.S.
  • The specialist must be a full-time worker in the current entity.

There are some visa limitations:

  • L-1 visa cannot be extended after 7 years;
  • A new employee cannot be transferred if he or she hasn’t worked one year over the past three years on the mentioned positions in the current foreign company;
  • The current foreign company should exist during the entire transfer period;
  • The wife (husband) and under-age kid(s) of the visa holder can reside in the U.S. The wife (husband) can apply for the work permit. The work permit for a kid(s) is not allowed;
  • The visa holders may stay in the U.S. as long as the U.S. company is considered the branch, subsidiary, or affiliated one to the foreign entity.

The foreign specialist may apply for L-1 Visa, but he or she must have a legal U.S. company. The L-1 Visa petition must contain evidence of the relationship between the U.S. company and foreign entity, such as:

  1. Articles of incorporation;
  2. Annual report;
  3. Financial statements;
  4. Copies of a stock certificate;
  5. Letter from the employer, detailing the employment term, position, job duties, and salary;
  6. Proof that the foreign specialist has worked for this employer at least one year over the past three years on the mentioned positions;
  7. Description of the proposed job duties;
  8. Evidence that the proposed position is one of the mentioned above;

The foreigner that is intending to arrive to the U.S. to open a new office should also file the petition. The copies of the following documents should be added:

  • Permission for the U.S. company to open a new office;
  • Clarification of the business relationship with the foreign entity;
  • Evidence of the financial ability to pay salary and do business in the U.S., such as the size of the U.S. investment, the structure of both companies, the financial state of the foreign employer and their intention to take the position of the executive (manager) for not less than 1 year.

The visa applicant must provide the following documents:

  • A passport that is valid for more than 6 months after the date of a planned departure from the U.S.;
  • The picture was taken according to the U.S. Visa requirements;
  • Page of the DS-160 confirmation and the bar-code;
  • Invitation letter for visa interview;
  • I-129 and I-797 form (for individual applications);
  • I-129S and I-797 form (for collective petitions);
  • Letter from the employer that confirms the transfer to the branch office or the promotion, including the duties and salary;
  • Links and contact information of the former co-workers, executives (managers);
  • Photos of the working premises;
  • CV copy;

If you have some questions regarding L-1 Visa / intra-company transfers, please fill the form below. We will get back to you at the earliest!

Last Updated 02/05/23 01:45:02AM

Was this page helpful?

Thank you for your feedback!

Related Forms

Answer a random question about the US Why does the flag have 50 stars? (question 97 of 100)

Rate this post



When I had to apply for a business visa to the United States, I was worried about the complex paperwork. Thanks to Usa-immigrations.com, I found all the necessary forms and step-by-step instructions. The process became much simpler and less stressful.


My wife and I needed to apply for family visas to move to the USA. Usa-immigrations.com was a fantastic resource that provided all the forms and detailed guides. We managed to navigate the process smoothly and efficiently thanks to the information on the site.


Applying for an investor visa seemed daunting, but Usa-immigrations.com had everything I needed. The comprehensive guides and readily available forms made the process straightforward and hassle-free. I highly recommend this site to anyone dealing with US immigration.


My family needed to renew our green cards, and we were unsure where to start. A friend recommended Usa-immigrations.com, and it was a game changer. The site had all the necessary forms and detailed instructions on how to fill them out correctly. Invaluable resource!


Usa-immigrations.com was a lifesaver when I was preparing documents for a travel visa to the USA. The website provided clear and concise instructions and all the forms needed. It made the complex process much easier to manage. I highly recommend their services!


Getting a student visa was a major step for me. Usa-immigrations.com provided all the necessary information and forms in an easy-to-follow format. The detailed guides helped me navigate the process without any issues. Great website for anyone dealing with immigration paperwork.


I needed to apply for a green card through marriage, and Usa-immigrations.com was an incredible resource. The site provided step-by-step instructions and all the forms I needed. The process was much smoother than I expected, thanks to their comprehensive guides.


My partner and I used Usa-immigrations.com to apply for a spousal visa. The detailed instructions and availability of all necessary forms made the process straightforward. We were able to complete our application without any issues, thanks to the excellent resources on the site.

Choose a messenger for communication: