Understanding B Visas for Business and Tourism in the U.S.


Introduction to the B-1/B-2 Visa

The B-1/B-2 visa is a non-immigrant visa designed for foreign nationals who wish to enter the United States for temporary business engagements (B-1) or tourism purposes (B-2), or a combination of both (B-1/B-2). This visa is ideal for those planning short visits to the U.S., offering flexibility and a substantial validity period of up to 10 years from the date of issuance. Visitors can stay for up to six months per visit, with the possibility of subsequent entries. It serves as a gateway for countless travelers seeking to explore business opportunities or the cultural richness of the U.S.

Visa Processing Time for B-1/B-2 Applicants

As of December 2023, the time required to secure a B-1/B-2 visa varies significantly by location. For instance, processing times for visa interviews range from about two months in Brazil to over two years in Canada. To determine the current wait time for a visa interview at a specific U.S. embassy or consulate, applicants can use the State Department's online tool by entering their city. It's important to note that applying for a visa outside one's home country may lead to longer waiting periods, impacting travel plans.

Duration of Stay on a B-1/B-2 Visa in the U.S.

How Long Can You Remain in the U.S. on a B-1/B-2 Visa?

Visitors entering the U.S. on a B-1/B-2 visa can typically stay for up to six months on each entry. Extensions may be granted under specific circumstances, allowing for longer stays as approved by U.S. immigration authorities. The duration of each visit is determined on a case-by-case basis and reflects the needs and purposes outlined by the visa holder at the time of entry.

The B-1/B-2 visa allows for multiple entries into the United States. There is no strict limit on the number of entries per year; however, the frequency and length of visits are subject to the discretion of Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers at entry points. This visa type is strictly for temporary and occasional visits, including business activities, tourism, and medical treatment. It is not designed for prolonged residence or frequent and extended stays.

Distinctions Between B-1 and B-2 Visas

The B-1 visa caters primarily to individuals traveling to the U.S. for short business-related activities such as attending conferences, engaging in contract negotiations, or conducting business meetings. Importantly, while B-1 visa holders may explore job opportunities and attend job interviews, they are not permitted to engage in regular employment in the U.S.

Conversely, the B-2 visa is tailored for tourists visiting for pleasure, vacation, or to meet friends and family. It also covers individuals participating in social or recreational events without compensation, and those seeking certain types of medical treatment. Typically, a combined B-1/B-2 visa is issued, allowing travelers the flexibility to undertake both business and tourism activities during their stay in the U.S.

How Often Can You Enter the U.S. with a B-1/B-2 Visa?

The B-1/B-2 visa is a multiple-entry visa, allowing holders to enter the United States multiple times. There is no strict limit on the number of visits per year; instead, the frequency of entries largely depends on the judgment of Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers at the point of entry, based on the specific circumstances of each visit.

The B-1/B-2 visa is designed for temporary, occasional visits for purposes such as business, tourism, or medical treatment. It is not intended for individuals planning to live or spend a significant amount of time in the U.S. If CBP officers perceive that a visitor is using the visa to reside in the U.S. through frequent or prolonged visits, or if the visitor fails to maintain substantial ties to their home country, there may be implications such as entry denials or future visa complications.

While the visa allows considerable flexibility in terms of travel, it is crucial to adhere to its conditions and intended use to ensure compliance and avoid potential issues. Consulting with an immigration expert can provide valuable insights and help tailor your travel plans to align with legal requirements.

B-1/B-2 Visa Cost

The current government filing fee for a B-1/B-2 visa is $185. This fee does not cover additional expenses related to document preparation, evidence collection, or obtaining passport photos.

B-1/B-2 Visa Requirements and Eligibility

Overview of B-1/B-2 Visa Purposes

The B1/B2 visitor visa accommodates a variety of travel purposes to the U.S., encompassing both business-related activities and non-business pursuits such as tourism. Applicants must demonstrate that their intended stay in the U.S. is temporary and that they have compelling ties to their home country which ensure their return after the visit. This evidence is crucial to prove adherence to the visa's conditions.

Requirements for B-1/B-2 Visa Application

Key requirements include showing proof of a residence outside the U.S. that the applicant does not intend to abandon, and evidence that the visit is for a limited period. These requirements underscore the non-immigrant intent of the traveler, aligning with the regulations governing the B1/B2 visas.

Valid Reasons for a B-1 Visa

  1. Business consultations: Engaging in meetings, discussions, or negotiations with business associates within the U.S.
  2. Attending professional gatherings: Participation in conferences or seminars related to business, education, science, or professional development.
  3. Estate settlements: Managing inheritance matters involving property or assets located in the U.S.
  4. Contract negotiations: Participating in negotiations or signing agreements with U.S.-based entities.
  5. Professional exams and licensing: Attending examinations or obtaining certifications exclusive to the U.S.

Valid Reasons for a B-2 Visa

  1. Tourism: Activities include sightseeing, exploring cultural landmarks, or experiencing the local lifestyle.
  2. Visiting friends or family: Traveling to the U.S. to spend time with relatives or acquaintances.
  3. Medical treatments: Undergoing procedures or receiving treatments not readily available in the home country.
  4. Participating in social events: Engaging in non-professional activities like concerts, festivals, or culinary classes.
  5. Amateur participation: Attending or participating in non-professional sports or contests.
  6. Short educational courses: Enrolling in short-term courses that do not exceed 18 hours of study per week.

Adhering to these guidelines ensures that the B1/B2 visa serves its purpose without misuse, facilitating legitimate and temporary visits to the U.S. while maintaining the integrity of the visa system.

Activities Prohibited on a B-1/B-2 Visa

Restrictions Under B-1/B-2 Visas

Holders of B-1/B-2 visas are restricted from engaging in several activities during their stay in the U.S. These include:

  1. Study: Enrolling in a long-term academic course that grants academic credit or a degree.
  2. Long-term employment: Working for a U.S. employer in a permanent or extended capacity.
  3. Paid performances: Participating in any professional performance for which compensation is received in front of a paying audience.
  4. Crew members: Arriving as part of the crew on an aircraft or ship.
  5. Foreign media roles: Working in the U.S. as press, radio, film, print journalism, or other information mediums.
  6. Permanent residence: Attempting to reside permanently in the United States.

Additional Travel Options Under the Visa Waiver Program

The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) offers an alternative to a visa for nationals from 38 countries and territories, including many in the European Union, allowing for business or tourism visits of up to 90 days without a visa. This program also covers those in transit through the U.S.

Canadian nationals generally do not require a visa for tourism visits. However, visas are necessary for activities like studying, working, or seeking permanent residency in the U.S. Entry requirements for Canadians can vary significantly based on their intentions in the U.S., with permissible lengths of stay ranging from six months to a year.

Changing Status from a B-1/B-2 Visa

While the B-1 and B-2 visas do not provide a pathway to permanent residency, holders may apply to change their status to another visa category through U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). This adjustment is possible provided the individual fulfills specific eligibility criteria and submits a formal change of status application. This option allows visitors to adapt their legal status to new circumstances while remaining in compliance with U.S. immigration laws.

Considerations for Changing Status from a B-1/B-2 Visa

Factors to Consider When Applying for a Change of Status

  1. Purpose of Stay: Your intent for extending your stay in the U.S. should align with the category of the new visa you are seeking. For instance, if you plan to pursue studies, you might consider switching to an F-1 student visa. Similarly, if you have secured employment and sponsorship, transitioning to an employment-based visa like the H-1B might be appropriate.
  2. Timing of Application: It is crucial to apply for a change of status before your current authorization expires, as shown on your I-94 Arrival/Departure Record. USCIS advises submitting your application at least 45 days prior to the expiration of your current status to avoid any gaps in legality.
  3. Eligibility Requirements: Changing status is not available to everyone. Notably, if you entered the U.S. using the Visa Waiver Program, you typically cannot change your status, with exceptions such as adjustments following marriage to a U.S. citizen.
  4. Compliance with Current Status: If you have breached the conditions of your current visa status, such as working without authorization on a B-1/B-2 visa, you generally become ineligible to apply for a change of status.
  5. USCIS Decision: Fulfilling all the requirements and submitting an application does not guarantee approval; the final decision rests with USCIS.

Additional Options for Adjustment of Status

If you have recently married a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident, you might be eligible to apply for a marriage-based green card. This adjustment allows you to reside permanently with your spouse in the U.S. You can choose to adjust your status while in the U.S. through "adjustment of status" (AOS), or you can undergo consular processing from your home country. To understand more about your options for a B-1/B-2 visa or to evaluate your eligibility for changing your status, consider taking an eligibility assessment. Start your application process today!

Required Documents and Application Process for a B-1/B-2 Visa

Necessary Documentation for a B-1/B-2 Visa Application

To apply for a B-1/B-2 visa, you'll need to gather several important documents:

  1. Valid Passport: Your passport must be valid for at least six months beyond your planned date of departure from the United States.
  2. Recent Digital Photograph: A digital photo that complies with the U.S. government's specific requirements.
  3. Travel History: Documentation of any previous visits to the United States within the last five years, if applicable.
  4. Proof of Financial Means: Evidence that you have sufficient funds to cover all expenses during your stay, including travel, accommodations, and living expenses.
  5. Evidence of Ties to Home Country: Documentation proving strong ties to your home country, such as employment, property ownership, or family commitments.

B-1/B-2 Visa Application Process

Applications for a B-1/B-2 visa are handled by the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your home country. The process includes a visa interview. You must attend a personal interview in the U.S. Embassy or Consulate, potentially facing longer wait times if applying in a third country.

Steps to Obtain a B Visa

  1. Complete the Online Form DS-160: Fill out the Non-Immigrant Visa Application (Form DS-160) online and print the confirmation page for your interview.
  2. Upload Your Photo: Ensure your digital photograph meets the required standards and upload it as instructed.
  3. Attend the Visa Interview: During the interview, digital fingerprint scans will be taken. The consular officer may also request additional documents or further information to finalize your application.


Understanding and preparing the required documents and following the outlined steps can significantly smooth the application process for a B-1/B-2 visa. It is important to provide complete and accurate information to avoid delays or denials. Remember, securing a visa not only allows you to travel but also opens up the opportunity to explore, conduct business, or reconnect with family and friends in the United States. Being thorough in your application will help ensure a positive outcome.

Last Updated 05/20/24 03:04:25AM

Was this page helpful?

Thank you for your feedback!

Answer a random question about the US Names U.S. territory. (question 91 of 100)

Rate this post



It so happened that I had to apply for political asylum in the United States. I understood in advance that it would not be easy to leave for America, but I didn't think that I would have to draw up so many documents and answer many tricky questions. With the help of Usa-immigrations.com, which I accidentally found on the Internet, I managed to overcome all the difficulties associated with paperwork quite easily. The site has a lot of useful and necessary information, with the help of which it is easy to collect and fill in all the necessary documents.


I married an American and had to get a green card to move to the USA. I found the website Usa-immigrations.com on the Internet, went to it and immediately realized that here I would find all the necessary information. On the site, I really found everything I needed. Thanks to the developers for coming up with such a useful site.


I needed to issue Form I-130 “Petition for a Foreigner Relative” in order to take my wife and child with me. I myself went to America on a green card and received permanent resident status. On the website Usa-immigrations.com, I found not only a form, but also instructions for filling it out. In addition, here I found other useful information, such as how much you need to pay for submitting the form and how you can pay. It also tells you where to submit your completed form. All this information is very useful for people who have never dealt with the execution of such documents.


My husband and I left for the United States on a green card, but it's time to update it. To do this, you need to collect documents again. We decided not to seek help from lawyers, but to do everything ourselves. I heard from a friend that there is a website Usa-immigrations.com, where you can get not only the information you need, but also find and download all the forms you need to fill out. The site really turned out to be very useful, we were able to quickly fill out the necessary forms and send them for processing.


The impressions of using the website Usa-immigrations.com are positive. Prepared documents for leaving for permanent residence in the United States. Like any person who faced this task for the first time, she did not know where to start and where to run. A friend helped. I don't know where she got the address of this site, but the information on it is really very useful and necessary. With the help of Usa-immigrations.com, I not only found out what documents I need to collect, but also found instructions on how to fill out the required form. Many thanks to those who came up with this site.

Choose a messenger for communication: