Understanding U.S. Visa Stamps


If the American consulate or U.S. embassy issued you a visa, the official most likely stamped your passport with the visa. The consular representative physically inserts a visa stamp into your passport.

If your visa stamp for the U.S. is valid and not expired, you can ask to enter the United States at the border. There, a U.S. Customs and Borders Protection (CBP) officer will check your visa in your passport and all your documents to decide if you can enter.

Guide to Reading the U.S. Visa Stamp

When you arrive at the U.S. port of entry, U.S. visa stamps offer essential details to the inspecting CBP officer. This information is necessary for visa type and duration. Errors or inaccuracies may result in substantial issues. 

Hence, it's crucial to carefully examine the visa when it's issued to confirm its accuracy. This guide aims to explain the details of a U.S. visa stamp, providing you with the knowledge to decipher it. You can use the example visa below as a reference throughout this explanation.

  1. Your Name. Make sure your first and last names on your passport match exactly.
  2. Issuing Post. Visa issuing posts come from the place where the U.S. embassy or consulate approved it.
  3. Gender. Your gender on the visa should be similar to one in your passport.
  4. Birth Day. Your birthdate on the visa should match your passport's birthdate.
  5. Visa Control Numbers. The code in the top right corner of your U.S. visa stamp is like a unique number that the State Department uses to keep track. Usually, it doesn't mean much to you.
  6. Visa. The letter "R" stands for "regular" passports.
  7. Class/Category. The code here tells you what the visa is for. Most tourists see "B1/B2" here.
  8. Visa ID number. The visa numbers, sometimes called visa foil numbers, are the red digits on the lower right side of newer visas. It usually has eight numbers, but sometimes there's one letter at the front and then seven numbers.
  9. Expiration. The visa's expiration date is the last day you can use it to enter the U.S. It doesn't mean you can stay that long. Some visas last ten years, but you can't stay for that whole time. Another paper called Form I-94 says when you have to leave.
  10. Issue Date. This is the day when the embassy or consulate gives you the visa.
  11. Annotation. This part might have more info about your visa, like if you're in an exchange program or a student. Or it could have your SEVIS number and school name if you're an F-1 student.
  12. Entries. This shows how many times you can enter the U.S. If it has a number, that's how many times. "M" means lots of times, there's no limit.
  13. Passport ID number. Make sure this number matches your passport. If it doesn't, it can cause problems.

Certain individuals may visit the U.S. without a visa stamp.

Not everyone needs visa stamps in their passport to enter the United States. Certain foreign nationals may enter the United States without visas for a brief period.

Visa Waiver Programs

Visitors from nations included in the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) of the United States may stay for up to 90 days. Generally, travelers must have a valid B-2 visiting visa, and their trip must be for leisure, tourism, or medical reasons. 

Visitors to the VWP must apply for entry authorization via the E-Systems for Travel Authorizations (ESTA) of the US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) before departing for the US.

Bermudian and Canadian Citizens

Once again, if you're planning a trip for leisure in the United States, here's some good news for citizens of Canada and Bermuda – you don't need a U.S. visa stamp. 

As long as you're eligible under U.S. immigration law and haven't broken the rules during previous visits, you can use your passports to enter. 

However, if your visit extends 180 days or you're coming for purposes that don't align with a B-2 visa, you might need a visa.

Last Updated 09/17/23 05:37:09AM

Was this page helpful?

Thank you for your feedback!

Answer a random question about the US In what month do we vote for President? (question 27 of 100)

Rate this post



It so happened that I had to apply for political asylum in the United States. I understood in advance that it would not be easy to leave for America, but I didn't think that I would have to draw up so many documents and answer many tricky questions. With the help of Usa-immigrations.com, which I accidentally found on the Internet, I managed to overcome all the difficulties associated with paperwork quite easily. The site has a lot of useful and necessary information, with the help of which it is easy to collect and fill in all the necessary documents.


I married an American and had to get a green card to move to the USA. I found the website Usa-immigrations.com on the Internet, went to it and immediately realized that here I would find all the necessary information. On the site, I really found everything I needed. Thanks to the developers for coming up with such a useful site.


I needed to issue Form I-130 “Petition for a Foreigner Relative” in order to take my wife and child with me. I myself went to America on a green card and received permanent resident status. On the website Usa-immigrations.com, I found not only a form, but also instructions for filling it out. In addition, here I found other useful information, such as how much you need to pay for submitting the form and how you can pay. It also tells you where to submit your completed form. All this information is very useful for people who have never dealt with the execution of such documents.


My husband and I left for the United States on a green card, but it's time to update it. To do this, you need to collect documents again. We decided not to seek help from lawyers, but to do everything ourselves. I heard from a friend that there is a website Usa-immigrations.com, where you can get not only the information you need, but also find and download all the forms you need to fill out. The site really turned out to be very useful, we were able to quickly fill out the necessary forms and send them for processing.


The impressions of using the website Usa-immigrations.com are positive. Prepared documents for leaving for permanent residence in the United States. Like any person who faced this task for the first time, she did not know where to start and where to run. A friend helped. I don't know where she got the address of this site, but the information on it is really very useful and necessary. With the help of Usa-immigrations.com, I not only found out what documents I need to collect, but also found instructions on how to fill out the required form. Many thanks to those who came up with this site.

Choose a messenger for communication: