Form I-192 | Application for Advance Permission to Enter as a Nonimmigrant

Form Is Used for

Nonimmigrants with the status of inadmissibility can use the form to request for a prior approval for their temporary arrival to the USA.

Aliens can avail of this form if they are:

  • inadmissible nonimmigrants who have corresponding documents;
  • applicants for T nonimmigrant status;
  • applicants for U nonimmigrant status.

NB: Applicants wising to get admitted to the country under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) according to the Immigration and Nationality Act section 217 shouldn’t choose the I-192 form. Inadmissible citizens of VWP states have to effect an application for nonimmigrant visas at a USA consulate and get an approval for entering the territory of the country. Find a corresponding US embassy or consulate to get advice about how to legally enter the country under VWP.


This type of applications can be processed in various ways:

  • Applying with U.S. Customs and Border Protection. In this case, a resolution is carried out by the Admissibility Review Office that notifies the applicant about its decision in a written form. It is sent by mail to the applicant’s address directly after the decision is made. The officials recommend making a request about the application status not sooner than after 90 days from the date when the form was submitted. The request can be made online, via e-mails and (for lawyers’ requests).
  • Applying with US Citizenship and Immigration Services. USCIS reviews the submitted applications and sends notifications with a resolution adopted via mail to the provided applicant’s address. Any issues related to the application can be discussed through their customer support at 1-800-375-5283.

The I-192 form is based on several sections of INA:

  • 212(a) – specifies grounds for designating inadmissibility;
  • 212(d)(3)(A)(ii), 212(d)(13) and (14) – provides rules and regulations based on which the form is designed (additional info can be found in the Title 8 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), parts 212.4(b), 212.16 and 212.17, 214.11, and 214.14 for those applying for T and U visa).

Download form I-192 Download instructions Form I-192 | Application for Advance Permission to Enter as a Nonimmigrant

Last update May 1, 2020

Was this page helpful?

Thank you for your feedback!

Civics Questions about US What are the two major political parties in the United States? (question 45 of 100)

All pages Form I-192 | Application for Advance Permission to Enter as a Nonimmigrant

Rate this post
Choose a messenger for communication: